Filtering by Tag: Helping Hands
The American Red Cross has opened these warming centers:
Harbor of Light Center (Men), 2407 N Main St.
MUSCLE POWER NEEDED!
Adult volunteers are needed at Star of Hope’s new Cornerstone CommunitySM campus, located at 2575 Reed Road, Houston, TX 77051, from 8 AM – 3 PM on Friday, August 4th, 2017 to assist with move-in preparations. Six hundred four beds are stacked in boxes under the basketball pavilion. There are 14 beds per pallet. The pallets will need to be broken down and the beds moved to client rooms in three different buildings. Each bed is approximately 76”x36”x4” and weighs 90 lbs. Once the beds are in the client rooms, they need to be assembled. Using power tools, each bed will take approximately 15 minutes to assemble.
- Adults only
- When possible, please bring cordless drill with sockets and box cutters.
- The basketball pavilion is outdoors, but the buildings (where the beds will be assembled) are air conditioned.
- You are welcome to bring a sack lunch, snacks and drinks
- Recommended dress is t-shirt, jeans, athletic shoes and baseball hat. The heel and toes of all shoes must be enclosed.
If you are available to assist with this physically-challenging project, please register. To sign-up, select the “Schedule” tab and click on the blue box that says, “Individual”.
Cornerstone CommunitySM will serve single women and families – the clients now served at both our Women & Family Emergency Shelter and our Transitional Living Center – all at one location. With your help, everything will be ready for the women and families who will call Star of Hope’s Cornerstone CommunitySM their home.
Together Giving Hope,
Manager II, Volunteer Services
Star of Hope Mission
D's Family Kitchen Family
This holiday season give the gift that last a life time, GIVING! It can be more than a tangible item, it can be TIME. There are many that won't have a Christmas this year or are away from their family and spending time with those in need will go a long way.
A new friend of mine had a wonderful idea to go visit a shelter and pass out new or used gifts. We have the same passion for the homeless and showing our children that giving is a great thing to do. I quickly said that I would join. Chef Krystal Lewis and I will be visiting my sponsored shelter, The Life Center Houston on Christmas morning from 8-9 am. We will be passing out toys to boys and girls of all ages. If you would like to join us please contact me (Chef D Allen or Chef Krystal). You can also drop off gifts or any needed items listed below.
The location of the shelter is as follow:
The Life Center
4516 Old Yale St
Houston, TX 77018 Houston
If you would like to donate money to help out the shelter, please do so by following the link below:
The Life Center’s Needs List:
- Shaving cream
- Travel sized soap
- Bottled water
- Ink – Dell Color LaserJet 1320c & HP Office jet 5610 All-in-one – all colors
- School uniforms and supplies
- HD video cameras
- Professional media equipment
- Indoor and outdoor 60 watt floodlights
- Lawn care equipment (weed eaters, lawn mowers, etc…)
- Industrial strength cleaning supplies (mops, brooms, chemicals, garbage bags)
- New underwear for men, women, and children
- Men & women’s clothing – appropriate for job interviews (suits)
- Pillows, blankets, towels
- Paper goods (toilet paper, disposable plates and flatware, paper towels, etc…)
- Flash lights and batteries
- Metro QCards with funds pre loaded
- Ground Meat
- Wild game and other meats are welcome
- Canned goods & other non-perishable foods