RECIPE OF THE MONTH
~Chef D Allen's homemade chocolate pudding is a delicious treat for Back to School!~
Homemade Chocolate Pudding
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 cups Whole Milk, Divided
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Chocolate or Vanilla Extract
- Gather all ingredients, including medium bowl and sauce pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until light yellow and increased in volume
- Whisk in the cornstarch and about 1/4 cup of the milk. Once smooth and incorporated, set aside.
- Place the sugar, cocoa, salt, and remaining milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat. This is right before the mixture comes to a boil, and in this stage you will see little bubbles start forming on the sides of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and, while whisking constantly, dribble the hot cocoa into the egg cornstarch mixture in the bowl very slowly. This is tempering so the eggs are scrambled.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and cook over medium high heat, whisking constantly, until the pudding comes to a full boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue whisking for a couple minutes until the pudding is thickened.
- Remove the pudding from the heat and stir in the chocolate or vanilla extract.
- Pour the pudding into a bowl and press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding so a skin doesn't form.
- Refrigerate for an hour or two until chilled. Serve & Enjoy in individual bowls or ramekins.
Chef D Allen